Primary 1-4, Primary 5-8
To clearly explain, in language that is understandable, the basics of E Tū Tāngata, in a format that is interesting for younger children and easily sharable with whānau.
We walk away knowing
E Tū Tāngata is made up of three strands: You Have Value, We Succeed Together and Others Matter
What is E Tū Tāngata?
Introduce tamariki to the basics of the E Tū Tāngata mindset with this fun foldable book activity. They will walk away with a cute mini-book to share with their whānau, so that they can explain the purpose of E Tū Tāngata and each of the three strands. Download and print a class set of this simple handout and learn how to fold one piece of paper into a simple book. Colour the pictures to make it eye-catching and read it together.
Equipment – Class set of printed pdfs, scissors, colouring pens or pencils
Skills – Scissor skills and folding skills, following instructions.
This easy and fun activity will introduce ākonga to the basics of the E Tū Tāngata mindset, and they will walk away with a cute mini-book to share with their whānau, so that they can explain what E Tū Tāngata is.
Each student will need a printed copy of the handout.
You can find easy video instructions for folding the book here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDdTdyzueDU
Or try these written instructions:
- Fold the handout in half short side to short side and cut the bolded line.
- Unfold and fold in half again long side to long side.
- Fold along the dotted lines into the centre, and then fold the last dotted line towards the back.
- Unfold and push the sides in, which will push out to make a diamond shape with the cut section. Keep pushing in to squash the diamond and that will form the back page of the book.
- Colour in and decorate and read your new book!
Read your book with your class and talk about the ideas in it. Ask them to share their new book with the people in their homes.
Use the tamariki videos to discuss each of the E Tū Tāngata strands in more depth.